Sunday, June 21, 2015

(Movie Night) Kung Fu Hustle Review

Written by: Ice Cold Tabasco
Kung Fu Hustle is one to THE greatest movies I have ever seen.
_________________________________________________________________________
I feel I’ve sufficiently established myself as a video game critic, so naturally, I’ve decided to post a movie review. Honestly, yes I will primarily be reviewing video games, but, I felt so compelled to write this that I could hardly contain myself.

Kung Fu Hustle is one to THE greatest movies I have ever seen. There is no hyperbole, I’m confident in the fact that if I were to ever put out a “Best Movies of All Time” list, this would in the top ten, if not the top FIVE. There is just so much that this movie does so right, that it does so well, that I found myself constantly repeating the same, singular phrase of, “This is amazing!” while, LITERALLY on the brink of tears from the sheer joy that is Kung Fu Hustle. This film's greatest triumphs is what many others of its kind fail to do, establish its mood and maintain that atmosphere through the entire thing.

From the get go you're bombarded by over the top, hilarious, and cartoony shit that it’s impossible to mistake this for a anything other that a comedy. Where movies like Kill Bill tend to confuse the audience by having seemingly conflicting feels, Kung Fu Hustle never makes a mistake in this department. While, yes, there is some mild drama to drive the plot, it never drowns out the sort of spontaneous and impossible world that it places you in. You will constantly scratching you head at some of the superhuman feats that are accomplished here, albeit in a good way (if that's at all possible).
Fight scenes are SO GOOD!
That’s actually a great way to describe the FANTASTIC fight scenes in this film, super-FUCKING-human. Though I hate to make the comparison, the action sequences are reminiscent of the generic anime crap, save being FAR from crap. There is so much style and visual flair and creative direction and character- AHH, it's hard not to love! Your jaw will be permanently glued to your foot at how amazing the fight scenes are here, they fail to be hindered by the rather dated CGI that over seventy five percent are made by. You have old land ladies shouting people’s clothes to shreds, limbs flying off from a recently tossed hatchet, heads pummeled (LITERALLY) into floors, and people turning into GODDAMNED FROGS. While all this may sound a contradictory of my last statement, once you see this film, it will all become clear.

While the SFX department and choreographers deserve literal tons of praise, I refuse to let that pesky story get away. While it isn’t anything that would be considered oscar worthy, it has the right amount of intentional cheese, great characters, and writing. There is a lot to love with how this move plays out, especially with the heroes and villains that sprout up. While not the highlight, the story manages to hold up the movie one hundred percent.

There's really nothing I can harp this movie on, other than its dated CGI with I have granted exception due to its age. Its a grand kung fu spectacle that will enthrall you in it's impossible, comical and fantastic world. A must have to any ones collection, digital or otherwise.

★★★★★
Five Stars
Must Own

No comments:

Post a Comment